Kevin Scruggs, the Maryland State Death Penalty Action Coordinator, sent out the following update and request for action in commemoration of the 1 year anniversary of the execution of Troy Davis:
“It’s been one year since Troy Davis was executed.
Help keep his memory alive.
Leading up to the moment Troy Davis was executed one year ago – Sept. 21 at 11:08pm – Amnesty International USA is asking all of our partners to honor Troy Davis and show support for Reggie Clemons, a man who remains on death row despite shockingly similar flaws in the case against him, as well as support California’s ballot initiative to abolish the death penalty, Proposition 34:
· Tweet a message of support using the #IamTroy or #TooMuchDoubt hashtags throughout the day on Sept. 21 (Amnesty will be tweeting a new fact every hour).
· Tweet a message at the exact moment Troy Davis was executed one year ago – Sept. 21 at 11:08pm – to honor Troy’s memory
· Share these graphics on your Facebook page:
· Email a message (or post on your website) to your fans asking them to take one or both of these actions: http://www.amnestyusa.org/reggie OR http://www.amnestyusa.org/iamtroy (live on Sept 20)
· Change your profile picture to any graphic in support of Troy Davis:
Troy: “The struggle for justice doesn’t end with me” #IamTroy
Troy: “This struggle is for all the Troy Davises… who will come after me” #IamTroy
What if #TroyDavis was innocent? California – vote #YESon34
#TroyDavis proved the #deathpenalty must go. CA vote #YESon34
Is Reggie Clemons the next Troy Davis? #IamTroy
On Sept 21 @ 11:08pm, Georgia killed Troy Davis #IamTroy
#IamTroy Witness: “After a couple of hours of the detectives…threatening me, I…told them what they wanted.”
#TooMuchDoubt KM, witness: “Troy never confessed to me…about the shooting. I made up the confession.”
Witness: “the officers…gave me a statement…I signed it. I did not read it because I cannot read.”
Juror: “If I knew then what I know now #TroyDavis would not be on death row…verdict would be not guilty.”
Witness: “I [said] #TroyDavis was the shooter, even though…I didn’t see who shot the officer.”
Witness: “I am not proud for lying at Troy’s trial, but the police had me so messed up.”
Reggie: “It’s like … telling you that I’m going to kill you someday…I just haven’t decided when.”
The cases against Troy Davis and Reggie Clemons are textbook for why the death penalty must end #IamTroy
Did you know that the most reliable predictor of someone being sentenced to death is the race of the victim? #IamTroy
If you have any questions, comments or feedback, feel free to contact our SDPACs, Andrea Hall (email@example.com) or Kevin Scruggs (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Thanks again for your interest in abolishing the death penalty!
Andrea, Kevin, and the Amnesty International USA Death Penalty Abolition Campaign
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more updates!
Opportunities and Upcoming Events:
· Be sure to sign our online petition to Governor O’Malley:http://tinyurl.com/omalleydp
· Monday, January 21: Rally and Lobby Night in Annapolis. Save the date!
· Not from Maryland, but want to help? Contact Andrea or Kevin for more information about how you can support repeal!”